Another Fucking Bubble

12th this time (with 10 getting paid). Actually ran well in this. Late registered as usual and was down to 2400 but picked up AK. 2 limps for 250, 1 fold, I shove.  Folded to BB who shoves for 9.7k and the two limpers call! This ends up being something I had never seen before. The hands are revealed:
BB: J♣J
UTG: A♠J♠
UTG+1: J9

First time I ever remember all 4 cards of the same rank being out there in an all-in situation. Of course, UTG and UTG+1 are complete morons but that's beside the point. Flop comes K♥3♥9♠ and I'm in the lead now by a lot. Turn and river are running 5s and I quadruple up.

Couple of hand later I pick up A♣K♣ again and I wasn't paying attention that well so I'm in the BB and make only the minimum raise after UTG minraised himself. He calls the minraise and we get a flop of Q♣T♠7♠. I elect to check, I really don't think I'm getting him off a lot of hands so hoping for a free turn would be the best result. He pots it and I time down and begrudgingly fold. He shows me AQ. So my mistake ends up saving me money cause he's probably not folding to a bigger reraise preflop and I'd be more inclined to c-bet it with more invested.

From there nothing really interesting. My remaining pots came from taking it down preflop with pretty good hands but the price of poker of course kept going up and while I was able to get down to the final 2 tables had to start being concerned with my stack size as I was discussing the other night. BB was up to 1200 and I had 8500 left or so. Down to 12 players and I'm 2nd to act with A7o. I go with it even though there are 3 players with a shorter stack than me. Have to take down the blinds or double up. SB reshoves all-in for 20k. Fuck. He has KK. Flop comes and I see the first card, A. But there's also a K on board. No miracle on the turn/river and gg me. No regerts about how I played that hand, had to take a shot there but still bites a little to make another deep run and come away empty handed. But as Negreanu said in one of his recent vlogs, in tournaments you have to come to expect that 90% of the time you're going to walk away disappointed.



Something else I wanted to comment on was another vlog I've been following on youtube: Brad Owen. He's gotten pretty popular and his videos started showing up on my youtube feed around the time I restarted this blog when I was searching for other poker content on youtube. His recent video was very interesting and touched on a point I made in one of my recent entries (here it is; watch first before reading below if you don't want spoilers).

First of all was great to see Dan Harrington is still playing. Looked him up on hendonmob recently and had wondered if he retired from poker cause hadn't seen any recent cashes. Assuming he'll be playing the main event if he's in Vegas. But looked like he approached the game wisely by only having 60BB in front of him, effectively doubling up through Owen (who I thought should have given Harrington more credit on that hand; putting him on a flush draw on that board was a stretch) and leaving the game shortly after. 

But for Owen the game played a lot bigger with the straddle so it's a 10/20/40 game. And his small winning session of $260 depended on 4-betting light with A4 and double barreling flop and turn. Had that been picked off he would have been in the hole for $5000 or more. Putting a lot of money on the table to win a small profit. Can't see something like that being profitable long term. Unfortunately in a lot of these NLHE cash games (especially live) the other players love to raise and reraise with all sorts of crap and put you to uncomfortable stack decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods