MTT!!!

Had enough runners for the LOLMAHA tonight that it actually went to 2 tables. 13 total and  with a few rebuys. As I did the other night, I waited until 29 past to register and did not get dealt in until after the rebuy/add-on period. Because of the entries involved I was tempted to take the add-on but decided against it and when I started there were 11 players left with 5 at my table and 6 at the other.

Started out playing tight, won a few small pots, and after a few eliminations found myself at the final table with 1600 chips, 100 more than I had originally. When it gets to 1 table the site high cards for the button and I found myself in the cutoff to start. Second hand into it we have a 3 way all-in. SB makes a big raise after it's limped to him and two people call. They get the rest of it in on a KQ7 flop with the SB's respectable hand of AA88 going up against AJ76and K644. A 7 turn and a K♣ river turns the best hand into the worst one and the player who had the other two covered ends up winning the hand and just like that we're down to 7 players. 

Fast forward a few hands and after I fold UTG the player who won the hand before
(who is on my direct left) open limps for 150 and 3 other players come along. Flop Q94and our friend to our left bets pot after the blinds check. Button calls leaving him 1445 behind and the blinds fold. Turn A and he actually checks to the button who shoves, but he does call. River T and his 9842♠ is good enough to beat button's JJT5and before the blind even comes around to me we're down to the final 6, with 3 places paying.

Fold my BB but one hand after that I'm sitting in the SB with AQJ2 and with only 1375 left I shove over the top of button's open limp. Button has 9k behind and decides to call the shove. My hand holds up against his TT72(about a 58/42 favorite here) after flopping top pair, turning two pair, and rivering a straight (which also gave him a set) for good measure.

Very next hand I had KKJJ OTB and with two limpers in front of me I decide to just limp behind and play it multiway. SB completes, BB checks and we go to a flop of K83♠. Checked to me and I bet 562, SB flats.  Turn 7 and I shove. He folds and I take an important pot. 

Go the next orbit without playing a pot while another elimination took place so we were down to the final 5, meanwhile blinds had gone up to 100/200. The player on my left now had a huge chip lead with 19k and the next highest chip count was the player on my right with a little under 9k, and I had around 3800. The other two players had around 5k and 1600, so I was 4th in chips. 

I fold my blinds and get KT87 and limp behind the CO, blinds come in and we take a T63 flop. Checked to the CO who weak leads for 200. He had been doing this quite a bit; one such hand went to showdown and he had air. I call with my top pair, gutshot, and two backdoor draws, and the blinds call behind me. Turn 5♠. Blinds check, CO weak leads again for 200, and now improving to the 2nd nut flush draw and an open ender I'm like "Enough screwing around gasbag, I'm all-in!" (although I don't actually type that in the chat). So I stick in my final 3112 and the blinds fold. CO who has me covered calls and we take an 8 river which is good enough to beat his AK54. FWIW, I did get the money in on the turn as a 57/43 favorite. 

Huge swing for me as that now puts me 2nd in chips. The guy that lost the hand to me ended up open-shoving his next two hands, the first hand he took the blinds, and the next hand he lost with AKK3 against the big stack's JT77 with of course the big stack flopping a set and turning a flush draw just for good measure. So we're on the bubble, still 2nd in chips. 

We would get down to 3 as the smallest stack kept bleeding away chips and it was of course the big stack who took him down, who now had a massive chip lead with over 28k to my 7k and the 3rd players 2k. He ended up taking out the other player as well so I got to heads up with a around a 31k to 7k chip disadvantage. A few hands into it he raises to 975 (150/300 blinds with a 25 ante at this point) and I shove over the top with AKJ8 for my final 6425 on top. I knew he was never folding here so I type in the chat “let’s do it” before I shove and he calls with TT87. I’m a small favorite here, 56/44. However the board does not help me as he flops good with AT4 and I’m dead to runner-runner or a gutshot. 7 turn leaves me with just 3 outs and a 3 finishes the tournament. Best I could hope for really, to get it in as a favorite, unfortunately didn’t work out. Had I doubled up there I would have been able to play some post-flop poker and be in a better position to win the tournament.

Despite the shortcoming heads-up, I collected $3.60 for my efforts for a $3.05 profit which is actually a better payout than winning it most nights. I will definitely take it given that I got in very cheaply and I was the short stack for quite some time. I think this late registering thing is working out for me; for one reason or another I tend to lose chips during the rebuy stage and seem to get the worst of it.

Also this cash was significant for a few other reasons. It got me to over $45 on the site which is the highest I've had since I restarted this blog. I had over $40 in September and then had an ill-fated night where I lost two-buyins in a cash game. Slowly I've rebuilt it back up so even though it's not anywhere close to significant money I've at least re-learned bankroll discipline for myself and played well enough to where I could eventually get it back up there. Definitely profitable in this tournament but not sure how I really stack up in the cash games at this point; I'm sure a lot of it is table selection and some of it is variance and with only 4.5 buyins $.05/$.10 is probably not even that good of an idea, especially against players who like to gamble it up. Back in the day I could play "small ball" with a short bankroll and do just fine but not going to happen here unless I get a really good table. 

The other note of significance is that I reached 3000 GPPs by playing this tourney which is a milestone, although it's probably not a lot of player points. Still have no idea how much I need to actually cash out, although I'm not even thinking about that at this point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods