Diplomacy - Fall 1901

* Intro

* Spring 1901

Negotiations:

Discussions start heating up with Germany, England, and Russia. Germany and I discuss an alliance, while England discusses an alliance with Russia and myself against Germany. I tell Germany I would like to slip into the channel, and forgo capturing Portugal this year. He tells me to go for it and will allow me to have Belgium so we can each get two builds.

Orders:

ENGLAND
Edinburgh MOVE North Sea -> resolved
Yorkshire MOVE London -> resolved
North Sea MOVE Norway -> resolved

FRANCE
Gascony MOVE Spain -> resolved
Picardy MOVE Belgium -> resolved
Mid-Atlantic Ocean MOVE English Channel -> resolved

ITALY
Venice MOVE Trieste -> resolved
Apulia MOVE Tunis -> resolved
Ionian Sea CONVOY Apulia to Tunis -> resolved

GERMANY
Ruhr SUPPORT Kiel to Holland -> resolved
Kiel MOVE Holland -> resolved
Denmark HOLD -> resolved

AUSTRIA
Vienna HOLD -> resolved
Albania HOLD -> resolved
Budapest HOLD -> resolved

TURKEY
Bulgaria MOVE Greece -> resolved
Constantinople MOVE Aegean Sea -> resolved
Smyrna MOVE Constantinople -> resolved

RUSSIA
Ukraine MOVE Rumania -> resolved
Gulf of Bothnia MOVE Sweden -> resolved
Galicia MOVE Vienna -> Bounced
Sevastopol SUPPORT Ukraine to Rumania -> resolved



Analysis:
I decided to go with the German alliance. I didn't trust that England wouldn't make another mistake with his orders (like he did in the Spring ordering EDI-NWY), and Russia was engaged in the south, so I figured I would be going it alone against Germany, which would be tough. I also figured England could be eliminated rather quickly (but not in 1902), with me already getting a fleet into the channel. This could have backfired, and could still backfire since only I stabbed England this round and Germany could still align with him, but I tended to trust him.

As far as the rest of the map goes, Austria is pretty much a goner. I thought he may form an alliance with Italy, perhaps offering him Greece in exchange for protection, but he failed to enter orders (later citing computer problems). Italy decided to grab his piece of the pie and take Trieste. Usually my Italian strategy calls for an alliance with Austria, but in this case I can't blame him for moving in. Austria for whatever reason failed to negotiate or enter orders this round, and lack of diplomacy = stab a lot of times. You must talk to your neighbors each turn, even if they are not in your plans. Reassure them so they either leave themselves open to attack or stab you.

Builds:

Each power got at least one build with the exception of Austria, which lost a unit. Three neutral supply centers remain open, and the two in the Balkans could be contested and/or be part of negotiations in the next year. The midgame begins now however. With few open supply centers, countries have to form concrete alliances and attack other powers to keep going.

ENGLAND
BUILD fleet Liverpool -> resolved

FRANCE
BUILD fleet Brest -> resolved
BUILD army Paris -> resolved

ITALY
BUILD army Venice -> resolved
BUILD fleet Naples -> resolved

GERMANY
BUILD fleet Kiel -> resolved
BUILD army Munich -> resolved

AUSTRIA
Albania DESTROY -> resolved

TURKEY
BUILD fleet Smyrna -> resolved

RUSSIA
BUILD army St. Petersburg -> resolved
BUILD army Warsaw -> resolved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods