I feel a draft....

Drafted my fantasy baseball team today. 10 person league, standard 5x5 categories. Here's my 25 players.

1. (9) Chase Utley 2B
Best player available at that point, but arguably a top 5 pick. Offers good AVG, RBI, and R, but should be good for 10+ steals and ~30 homers as well.

2. (12) Carl Crawford OF
Clearly the steal king of MLB with four stolen base crowns in five years. Offers around 80 RBIs as well and a batting average around .300.

3. (29) Mark Teixeira 1B
.300-30-100 player last year, but with a full year in Atlanta (and a FA year to boot) he should thrive. Good for production in every category but SBs.


4. (32) Carlos Lee OF
Another strong power hitter who had a career high 119 RBIs last year. He even gives you 10+ SBs.

5. (49) Nick Markakis OF
Filled my outfield in the first five picks, but hard to pass on this rising star. A bargain at #49.

6. (52) Brian McCann C
Catcher position is more deep than in years past, but I don't mind scooping up McCann a little early when I'm drafting at an end. .300-20-90 is pretty damn good from the catcher position.

7. (69) Félix Hernández SP

My first pitcher. Has some upside, but is a bit of a gamble. Not as enthusiastic about him as my other picks, but perhaps he will be a nice surprise.

8. (72) Aaron Harang SP
Grabbed another pitcher. Harang should be good for over 200 Ks and a decent amount of wins.

9. (89) Fausto Carmona SP
Surprised to see one of the best pitchers in the AL last year get this far in the draft. Probably won't give me outstanding numbers in any category, but a solid #3 pitcher for me.

10. (92) Ryan Zimmerman 3B
Needed a 3B and Zimmerman is the guy. Might be good for .300-30-100 with the Nationals moving to a more hitter-friendly park.

11. (109) Mariano Rivera RP
Rivera struggled last season, but it was mostly in April and he has no competition for the Yankee closer job next season. Should be good for 30+ saves with a decent ERA and WHIP.

12. (112) Adrián González 1B

He was the best player available, so it's time to start drafting for those utility slots (I have two). 25 year old first baseman that's only going to get better. Only downside is that he plays at Petco, but should have at least a 30 homerun and 100 run and RBI season.

13. (129) Yovani Gallardo SP
Sleeper pick that collected a few groans from the room when I picked him. He'll start the season on the DL and miss a few starts but the Brewers have saved a spot in the rotation for him. He had 1.36 ERA in five September starts and has the potential to be a top starter.

14. (132) Ian Kinsler 2B
Already have a second baseman, but just couldn't let him slip any further. His 20+ steal potential could make him trade bait later on in the season if nothing else.

15. (149) Rafael Soriano RP
He will be the closer in Atlanta. Throws hard and can put up strong numbers in the K and WHIP departments as well.

16. (152) Édgar Rentería SS
Ah, rent-a-wreck. Waited until the 15th round to draft a SS and I'm not to keen on him given what happen the last time he went from the NL to the AL.

17. (169) Evan Longoria 3B
Pulled the trigger on this much touted potential sleeper. ESPN is projecting something like .275-22-99, which is decent, but not good enough to warrant a starting spot on my roster (yet).

18. (172) Lastings Milledge OF

A bit of a gamble for a guy who didn't work out with the Mets but gets a new start in Washington. Worth a bench spot.

19. (189) Rickie Weeks 2B

Another second baseman that I think should have been taken 50 picks ago. He has SB potential, but his average (.235 last year) is a problem. Might be a pleasant surprise.

20. (192) Brian Wilson RP
He will be the closer in SF. He's a bit of a gamble, was set to be the closer last year before losing the job in spring training, before coming back later in the season and getting 6 saves. This late in the draft though closers are hard to come by, and I'd like to get one that isn't going to destroy my ERA and WHIP numbers.

21. (209) Jon Lester SP
Got stuck on this pick and took Lester right before my timer ran out. He's on a winning team and has a spot in the rotation. Not thrilled about him however, have a wait-and-see attitude before inserting him into a SP slot.

22. (212) Troy Percival RP
Will be the closer in TB and is having a good spring training. I'm hoping he has a good April as well so I can trade him. I'm not expecting him to be reliable for the long haul.

23. (229) George Sherrill RP
Going nuts with the RPs, but Sherril is solid and may end up eventually being Baltimore's closer.

24. (232) Jay Bruce OF
Found out he was sent to the minors right after making this pick. Likely won't be an impact in 2008.

25. (249) Justin Upton OF
At this point had a list of "sleepers" and just picked him. Not too big on him though given his .221 average in 140 at-bats.

So there you are. I think it was a pretty good draft. I have solid hitters, I think my pitching and bench need some work. I generally prefer drafting good hitting over good pitching though, since hitters are more likely to put up their projected numbers. Gotta be active and keep an eye on the waiver wire if I'm going to have a chance of winning in any case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods