Back to Hold'em

Played some hold'em during happy hour. Sat down at 4 tables of $50 NL, buying in for 50BBs at each table. Other than timing out a few times it was pretty easy. The play was the softest $50 NL play I have seen since the days of Party Poker. The players were all pretty straightforward, they would auto fold to c-bets (even in position) and would rarely bet/raise without a hand. If they did take a shot at a pot they'd shut down on the next street. It was pretty easy to figure out what they had. Here's one such example of a hand:

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - View hand 50308
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $50.00
UTG+1: $46.25
MP: $40.95
CO: $50.75
BTN: $198.00
SB: $99.30
Hero (BB): $24.30

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is BB with KK of diamonds AA of clubs
UTG raises to $2, 5 folds, Hero calls $1.50

With the UTG raise I elected to just flat call in the small blind and take a flop.

Flop: ($4.25) 22 of hearts 55 of spades 44 of hearts (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

I whiff the flop, have a gutterball and two over cards. I check and this player checks it back.

Turn: ($4.25) 88 of hearts (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $3.25, Hero calls $3.25

Now the 3rd heart comes, I check, he bets $3.25. I didn't believe he had the flush at this point, I think he would have bet the strong draw on the flop. Unless he has A8 here he's sitting there with two unpaired cards. I elect to just call being out of position, I figure he'll check it down. Perhaps could have raised though to get him off of AK or maybe A8 with the flush out there.

River: ($10.75) QQ of clubs (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks

Not a great card, AQ/KQ just got there. If he bets at it I would have to seriously consider folding, though he's likely checking down the 1 pair hands at this point anyway.

Final Pot: $10.75

Hero shows KK of diamonds AA of clubs (Ace King high)
UTG shows 99 of clubs TT of clubs (Queen Ten high)

Hero wins $10.25
(Rake: $0.50)

He had a lot worse there than I expected raising UTG. Can't say I had too much info on this player specifically because I'm playing 4 tables sans HUD. I'm making reads based on how the table is playing as a whole. Still, my general read was correct and I take it down with A-high.

Sure, most people would have said reraise preflop, but if I do that, I'm throwing out 1/3 of my stack before the flop and any c-bet on the flop commits me. Plus with a short bankroll I prefer to keep the pots small when I can.

Here's another hand in a similar situation.

Full Tilt Poker $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - View hand 50330
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (SB): $26.20

BB: $86.00
UTG: $20.95
UTG+1: $76.25
MP: $11.00
CO: $19.45
BTN: $17.55

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with QQ of diamonds AA of diamonds
UTG raises to $1.50, 4 folds, Hero calls $1.25, BB calls $1

Again I'm in one of the blinds facing an UTG raise. I call with my AQs. BB comes along also.

Flop: ($4.50) TT of diamonds 88 of spades AA of hearts (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG bets $3, Hero calls $3, BB folds

I flop top pair and check. UTG bets, I call, BB folds. I think that's the best line on the flop, not strong enough to checkraise since he bet into 2 players, but definitely cannot fold.

Turn: ($10.50) 33 of hearts (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $4, Hero raises to $15, UTG calls $11

I check it to him, this time he bets just $4 into $10.50. I was really unsure of what to do here, but I thought I had the best hand so I went with it. I figured his range was likely AT+, maybe something goofly like J9, perhaps even QQ or KK not wanting to give a free card. His small bet tilted me towards the weaker part of his range (i.e. the hands I beat), so I went with it.

River: ($40.50) KK of hearts (2 players)
Hero bets $6.70 all in, UTG calls $1.45 all in

Oops, didn't bet enough to put him all in. Wasn't the greatest card in the world, but obviously had to go with it at this point.

Final Pot: $43.40
Hero shows QQ of diamonds AA of diamonds
UTG mucks AA of clubs JJ of hearts

Hero wins $41.25
(Rake: $2.15)

Biggest pot of the night but I'm not sure I played it correctly. Was probably fortunate to be up against AJ there but what other line(s) could I take? I'll probably post this on 2+2 and see what they think.

So at this point I've tripled my initial stake (which includes clearing $15 of my additional $100 bonus). Free money is nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods