Turning Stone

I was in upstate NY recently and got a chance to check out Turning Stone. Game selection sucked it was on a Monday afternoon and they had like two games of 1/2 NL. I went with another guy who wanted to play in a tournament but they didn't have enough runners so that got cancelled as well.

A group of four OMCs wanted to get a $2/$4 limit game going so my buddy and I joined that and so we played 6-handed. The room was doing a high hand promotion every hour so with a small player pool we figured we'd have a shot at that as well. But the game couldn't have gone much worse for both of us.

My feeling was this game was pretty soft. The OMCs played a lot alike, loose/passive preflop and tight/passive after the flop. These guys NEVER raised unless they had the stone cold nuts. Ended up value betting a few hands that I thought were good at the end only to get called by a better hand and effectively make my opponent's value bet for him. I had AQ one hand, raised PF with it, flopped top pair and bet all 3 streets with it and my opponent called down with AK. Ugh. Another hand had two pair only to be called down by a set.

Bought in for $100 and ended up losing just about all of it, but to be honest it was fun to play again. Hopefully I will be getting to one of the local cardrooms soon and be able to play. The reason I really haven't yet is because virtually all of the games are no limit and I really just don't have the bankroll to be able to play in that and honestly I'm not expecting to make money at least not at first. Player pool is a lot better than 10 years ago I'm sure. Tournaments might be a better bet for me so going to keep an eye out and see what's being offered. Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods