An interesting bubble maneuver

Got a chance to play tonight, started with 8 people and was playing 7 handed when I jumped in right before the add-on period. Managed to win 1 big pot to double up and get to the bubble when this hand took place.

Blinds 125/250 NL Omaha - 9 Max - 2017/07/07 - 23:10:34
Table 1
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players: 4
Seat 4: seat4 ( 11856 )
Seat 5: seat5 ( 1847 )
Seat 6: seat6 ( 9597 )
Seat 7: hero ( 2700 )
seat4: posts ante [25]
seat5: posts ante [25]
seat6: posts ante [25]
hero: posts ante [25]
seat6: posts small blind [125]
hero: posts big blind [250]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to hero [ 3
, 8, 4, 5 ]
seat4 folds
seat5 calls [250]
seat6 calls [125]
hero raises [2425]

  
The trend I've noticed in these things is that people tend to be very patient when we are on the bubble, even those with a lot of chips. I only had played with seat5 before who was the short stack and I felt that he almost never would call a shove here for all of his chips. If he had something worth going all-in with he would have shoved himself instead of just limping. Seat 6 was an unknown but playing pretty passively (and pretty loose preflop). I think he probably calls with almost any 4 in the small blind for 1/2 price but would need something good to call a shove.

My hand is pretty much garbage so I could check and try to get lucky but even flops that hit me are vulnerable (a straight or flush with this hand could easily lose to a higher straight or flush). I could also raise pot but it's not as powerful a bet and I think there's a better chance I get a call from the SB if it's anything less than a shove. Plus that basically commits me and I could be looking at a lot of flops where I whiff badly (all overcards for example).

So I stuck it in and hoped for the best. At least if I got called I would see all 5 cards. Fortunately both players folded and I took down a key pot. Didn't show it in case I needed to make another big play with air, but that put me in a much better chip position. Seat5 ended up bowing out a short while later and I at least got into the money. 

Since I'm not playing much anymore I'll save the rest for my next post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods