Update

I haven't been playing poker much at all lately, hence the lack of posting. Last time I played was about a week ago for a brief $50NL 6-max session on Tilt. Had a few interesting hands. First hand I had QQ in MP, I raised to $2, player to my right in the CO made it $6, and it's folded back to me. I could really see calling as I would be out of position postflop and I really won't know where I'm at if the flop comes down 3 babies. So I make a smallish reraise to $14. I figure I will find out right there if he has AA or KK. Some players might play it tricky and just smooth call with AA or KK, but mostly at this level the play is straightforward. He ended up folding and I took it down. Not a bad result at all.

A few orbits later I get AA UTG and raise to $2 again. The same player reraises me UTG+1 to $6 again. It's folded back to me and based on the last hand of course I make the same exact play and reraise to $14 again. Obviously I want to make it look like a steal but I have to give him credit for a pretty good hand because he's reraising me up front. However I can easily represent a hand like AK here and three-raise in this spot based on him folding the last hand. He does call this time and we go to the flop with $28.75 in the pot.

The flop comes down 3 babies, 6-5-5 rainbow. I decide to check it to him and hope that he takes a shot if he has a hand like AK or AQs. If he has an overpair he's probably going with it anyway. That's exactly what he does, shoving all in for his remaining $39.25. I insta-call and my aces hold against his jacks for a nice $100+ pot.

Ended up about $40 ahead because I did lose a few pots including one where I was all-in against two short stacks in a ~$30 pot and my TT couldn't hold against AK or AJ. I broke even on the other hands and called it a night.

So that's where I stand. I took my profit and pre-ordered Small Stakes No Limit Hold'em by Ed Miller, Sunny Mehta, and Matt Flynn. Initially they were supposed to come out with a sequel to Professional No Limit Volume I, but scratched that and decided to come out with this e-book instead which is tailored to beating $1-$2 6-max online.

I have only read a couple of pages so far (I will certainly post a review when I'm done reading it), but it looks promising. I think the $39.95 will be well worth it, even for a part time player, but unfortunately that was the pre-order price. If you're looking to order it now, it's going to be $99.95. It's still probably a good buy at that price seeing that $100 is still less than what one would pay for training sites or coaching. However, I'll reserve my recommendation until I've read it, but FWIW it's received very positive reviews so far on 2+2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

LOL Redproaments

Foxwoods