LOLMaha

Found an interesting tournament on DragonRoom. Every night there is a NL Omaha rebuy tournament for $.50+$.05. I've noticed they get a few players and it ends up running. I ended up late-registering for the tournament and it was four handed. I had a starting stack of 1500 but 2 of the 3 players had close to that with 1 player having about 3000, so not in bad shape at all. Blinds were 15/30. First hand I'm in the BB with J♠J♢3♠3♢ and get a free play after 2 limpers. Flop comes down K♠Q♠6♠ and I flop the 2nd nuts. I pot it and get raised pot. I decide to play it slow and call the raise, and the turn goes check-check. Make a 3/4 pot value bet on the river and get called by 66xx.

I continue to take down some smallish type pots but the other players get all-in against each other and we go to 2 handed just before the rebuy period ends (which is only 1/2 hour into the tournament). Strangely neither busted player decided to rebuy, but someone must have before I joined since there were 5 buyins worth of chips in play. I find myself severely out-chipped going into heads up (he had 6125 and I had 1325). The add-on would cost me another $.50 while not taking the add-on would guarantee me a profit as 2nd would pay $.75 (I know, not very much money either way but I like to make the +EV decision). I decided to not take the add-on and go to heads up. My opponent declined the add-on as well. I actually played pretty well heads up to start. I used my position well when I had the button and picked up some pots. Also got some value from my medium strength hands and better as my opponent was playing pretty straight forward so one hand I bet my 98xx on a board of 98653 and he actually called with 65xx. I actually gained the chip lead for a few hands but then he started getting really aggressive, first after the flop then started shoving hands preflop. With blinds at 75/150 at this point, I found myself down to 3125 before the following hand came up.

I'm on the button with 7♣6♣5♣4♡ and I just limp hoping for a look at the flop. He obliges and checks. Flop comes 5♠3♠3♣. He checks, I bet 150 and he calls. Turn 5♢. He checks again, now with trip 5s I bet 300. He raises to 1500. Ugh. I really don't think he's ever bluffing here but I figured there were enough 3s in his range where I had to go with it. If he has the case 5 it's unlucky but unless he has 53xx I still have four outs to a straight on the river in addition to outs for the boat. I go with it and he has J♢9♡9♠5♡. T♡ on the river seals my fate. Against his hand I was about a 2:1 dog on the turn so I didn't get my money in terrible shape. I think I played the hand correctly. With 2nd place money I wind up with a $.20 profit. I did actually play a NL $.05/$.10 cash game as well but the table broke up rather quickly although I show a profit of just under 4 big blinds, winning the first hand by flopping top pair from a free play in the BB with Q3o, and then winning the last hand heads up, raising with 42o from the button and then flopping a wheel, but getting no action on the flop bet. I was hoping my opponent called my preflop raise with an ace and would go to showdown with it, but not to be.

With the small wins I got my roll on the site to $18.27 which I'm very happy with given that I was down to $2 just a week and a half ago expecting to lose it in that wild $.02/$.04 PLO game. Going to have to grind away to get that up to where I need it to be to play $25NL (which runs regularly). I won't have the recommended bankroll requirement anytime soon, but if I can get to $40 and at least have four $10 buy-ins I'll start playing that game regularly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

Update

Fantasy Football Spreadsheet