6 years later

It's been about 6 years since my last post and wasn't much really to post about. I recently started re-reading some of the older posts on this blog and figured since it was still up, why not do an update? So here's a recap of the last 5 years.

The last post in 2010 was the last time I've played any type of live poker. I was still playing sparingly online and had money on both Stars and Full Tilt. Then Black Friday came in 2011 and that all but ended online poker for me for awhile. At that point I lost interest in it since there were no local live games and tournaments and even though a few people had told me about the cardrooms in NH I didn't feel like it was worth my time (limit games and tourney's only and I felt it was very hard if not impossible to overcome the rake). In addition I felt my game had really declined and I wasn't able to keep up with what I would call the "modern game" of putting in multiple bets and raises before the flop.

So I didn't think I'd be playing again but about a year and a half ago this site Dragonroom had a free money offer. It's a very small player pool with less than 100 players and very few games going. I took the offer and got into whatever game I could. Sometimes the only game available would be $25 NL, sometimes $10NL, $10PLO, or a heads-up SnG. I all but lost my stake a few times but managed to survive a few all-ins for my last dollar or two and keep playing.

The main attraction of this site is that it offers a $500 freeroll on Sunday nights at 10PM Eastern. Starting a new job and working a later shift has allowed me to play in this more recently as I don't have to worry about getting up early Monday mornings. The freeroll attracts 300 to 400 players and offers a top prize of over $100.

Two weeks ago I made a deep run and ended up making it to the final two tables. I was definitely going for first but was pretty short stacked and ended up pushing 98o on the button and ran into the A9 of the big blind and once the A flopped on a dry board I was out in 16th for a few dollars. Was still fun making a deep run in a tournament and reminded me of the glory days of aught 5 and aught 6 when I made a few deep runs in party poker tourneys which is what really got me addicted to the game in the first place.

The cash was good enough to put me at over $10 which allowed me enough for the minimum buy-in for the $25NL cash game. Was ahead in that but started to run bad and made a few loose (and probably bad) river calls and left with $6 left.

Tonight I was out so I missed the freeroll but saw that a $.02/$.04 PLO game was going. PLO is by far my worst game and worse for me it's 3-handed which I tend to suck at. But I figured I'd give it a try and buy in for $2. First had I get Ah8hTx4x and heads up against 1 player on an Ax 9h 8h flop. Of course all the money goes in against my opponents A9xx hand and a 9 comes on the turn. Lose one buy-in. Re-bought for another $2 and about 7 hands later I pick up AA83 with the Ah. I was in a blind and the button raised and I decided to just call since I always get in trouble with this hand. Flop comes down K 9 6 all hearts. I figured I would try to represent the nut flush holding the ace and check-raise his pot sized flop bet. Doesn't work as he decides to call me with bottom two and it holds up. Down to my last two.

After I re-bought for the final time one player left and a complete spewtard entered the game. Played every and and would raise every unraised pot if he was in a blind and either the button or SB limped in. Worst of all he was left of me. But I slowplayed a few hands against him and won some money. But then he started to take pots away from me and I was down to about $2.25 from the $4 I had. Decided to just play tight and wait him out. After waiting a few orbits pick up AQ5s4s OTB and limp expecting him to raise from the SB which he does. BB and I call. A flop of KQ8 with 2 spades gets checked around. Thought about betting IP but didn't want to get blown off the hand with a check-raise.

The turn comes 5c giving me two pair to go along with my small flush draw (which I think is good enough of the time in a 3 handed game). Spewy McSpew bets pot, BB folds, and I raise pot which leaves me with $.01 behind. He min-bets a Tc river and I figure I'm done but turns over 2678 with no suits and I take down a $4.16 pot.

About ten hands later I minraise OTB with AJT8 hoping he won't re-raise but he does 3-bet to $.28 and I call after BB folds. He bets pot on a T84r flop and I raise pot with my top two. He shoves and I call. Turn 4c river Ah. He has KQ95 and I take down a $6.79 pot. Very next hand he raises to $.14 OTB and I call in the BB with Ad8d6h4h. Flop comes Jh7h3d; pretty good flop for me. I check-call a $.30 bet. Turn comes a black 5 giving me the gutterball straight. I check to him, he pots it, I re-pot it, and we get it all-in. Turns out he did have a hand this time, with the same exact straight. Except he has no redraws and the beautiful Th comes on the river and I scoop the pot. He leaves the game after that and not wanting to play heads-up with the other player (who was actually pretty solid from the hands I had seen), I left the table with $9.84. I'll take it. 

So that's it for now. I'll try to keep this going and I'll have to see what the future holds for me in poker. The cardrooms in NH do offer no-limit now so that may be something worth playing but we'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Righting the Ship

Update

Fantasy Football Spreadsheet